Thursday, October 20, 2011
The Wonder Spot
I absolutely adored this book. It is not my usual forte but the title definately got me curious. Since the book didn't have a summary I read the first couple pages and couldn't put it down. I got a little lost at times trying to keep up with all of Sophie's jobs and boyfriends. Yes plural boyfriends. I do not practice religion but what she does by skipping hebrew class all the time is just ridiculous. It may get her into trouble but this chick does not really care at all. I was able to relate to Sophie because our personalities are alike. She is a procrastinator and reluctant to try something she assumes she won't like. She is carefree and strives to figure out just exactly who she is. I'm not going to lie some of the stuff she does in the book I would never try even if I got older. I'm pretty sure she has had every alcoholic drink there is to comsume. Goodness it is scary how every time she meets with someone there is wine or beer or something stronger. What facinated me the most was the types of guys she dates and the people she befriends. I mean she doesn't really have a type of guy but if I had to make an assumption it would probably be a little something like this: lean, a smoker, somewhat authorative, funny to talk too, younger, and usually a mutual friend of someone she knows. She is what I would call a mercy giver to an extent. She seems to date guys with some sort of dilema. It is not that she tries to fix that more that she listens to the situation and that seems to be enough for her. I like this girl because she is involved in many careers journalist, advertiser, editorial assistant, etc. She likes to explore her options and keep an open mind. I like that her character is a variety compared to the rest of the family. She does, however, rely on her brothers and father for guidance. After she graduates and such she keeps in touch with her brothers and Jack is just as spontaneous as she is. He is spunky and wants to be "in love" when it is convient for hime. That is nice but at the same time it puts a strain on the kinds of relationships he has with his significant other, family, and his friends. Her younger brother is the sterotypical father. He marries Naomi and they have 3 kids. The strange part about his relationship is that he doesn't really have that head over heals, can't live without you love with his wife. He married her really out of custom. He is the firm believer in the Jewish beliefs and so is she. It almost drives me insane, her personality, because she is what I would call a stick in the mud. She does not like Sophie and she by my definition is socially awkward. I just felt that her character was just the opposite of Sophie's. I think her friends are the most interesting. She has an odd group of people she encounters and I think that adds to her character. When you read you notice miniscule changes in Soph's character and it has to do with her surroundings, who she meets, and what she learns from them. The book does a good job with life lessons like Hardwork gets you farther in life, Do not use excuses to cover up something you know you alone did wrong, Time management, and There is no perfect romance. It enjoyed every minute of this book and thought it was fabulous. I recommend it to anyone who is desperate to read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment