Thursday, October 6, 2011

Enthralled (Continued)

Scenic Route I liked for the characters and their integrity. It is kind of a funny story in a twisted "I am going to end up killing you anyway" kind of way. I realted most to Margie in this tale because she grows by learning to trust her judgement and be honest with herself. I admired her prtection of her sister and her defensiveness to every little thing. She really overcomes her struggle and learns respect herself. She is determined and just when you think she is going to do one thing, she does the opposite. I really liked that about her character. Her suspicion and softness made her easiest to picture and find common ground with. WHen she meets Calvin that is really when her change begins to happen. All the walls she puts up to guard her emotions and protect her sister are slowly let down and just when she trust Calvin most her betrays her. His character is kind of comical. First, he spies on the two girls for many days, enters the house on several occasions without their knowledge, and steals a guide book of West Virgina. I do not know many people who go through that much trouble to hide and find a safehaven. Another thing that is quite funny is that every night he stays with Margie and Sally, Margie ties his hands behind his back and makes him sleep outside of the cabin. I understand the precaution, but the fact that she has whimpy knots and he never tries to escape makes that situation all the more ridiculous. Even after several weeks of staying with them she still doesn't trust him and the very moment she does is the moment his betrayal becomes real. Turns out this little boy has secrets of his own and when they, his brothers, come to kill and take everything the girls own he himself changes. Instead of killing Margie he lets her go. The instance where you think she would rip him to shreads and just be so angry for his betrayal, she simply asks him to come along. I found the whole story comical witha  touch of tenderness. It is why the tale was one of three faavorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment