Sunday, August 28, 2011

Abandon

I'll admit I didn't think I would like this book. I mean taking the greek myth of Hades and Persephone and making modern was iffy. Pierce the girl is what most would call an NDE (near death experience) in her time as being pronounced "dead" she is taken by John Hayden to be forced to live in the Underworld. Of course, though, that isn't the case. She ends up living and being haunted by John in every instance. The book was a confusing read at first because Meg Cabot, the author, just jumps right to the middle of the story. She had just moved with her mom back to her mother's hometown and her parents have gotten a divorce, I mean your more lost than a puppy. You keep asking questions who is Pierce? Who is Alex? Why is she in Isla Huesos? What is 'the incident'? Who is John? Why did her parents get a divorce? There are so many questions not answered you almost want o give up! Ha! However I didn't because I was interested I wanted to answer all those questions find out Pierce's story. Turns out before she "died" and came back, Pierce was the normal rich-girl type. Daddy is CEO of a major company, mother is an animal researcher, you get the idea. The family isn't everything its pegged up to be really. Mom and Dad though busy still care for the daughter enough to send her to the best Girls only High school in Conneticut. She has all the freedom a teen could ask for and a best friends Hannah. The whole Shebang. Anyway after her NDE and meeting with John in the Underworld where she gains a necklace and some knowledge of what happens to spirits when they die, she comes back. After coming back though bad things begin to happen to people she loves and knows. Which is why she ends up in Isla Huesos. After her first day at school she learns of the importance of the nicklace and why John keeps popping in and out of her life. Turns out she is in danger and this particular necklace she owns has had importance in history. Or as some put it much bloodshed. Including one Miss Marie Antionette. The island itself is named the Island of Bones because most of it is a cemetary. The cemetary secton Richard Smith basically calls it the entrance to the Underworld. That in itself is kind of creepy to me. But I guess in the end in order to accept that something so strange is possible you have to let yourself accept it. At the end I loved the book, it was impossible but interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment