Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Die For Me

I have to admit this book was one that I could not put down. I loved how the writer held out on telling us Vincent's "big" secret which in this case was that he is a revenant. I thought it was different to have the story take place in France instead of the United States it added to the mystery of the characters. Kate was easy to relate to in the sense that she was trying to re-discover herself after her parents death. In midst of all the havoc of living with her grandparents and sister, adjusting to a new home, and coping with her parents death she still found the time to enjoy her surroundings and really capture the beauty of Paris. She is a quiet, confused, and open-minded which adds to her personality. She is quite intuitive and is always watching out for her older sister Georgia. When she meets Vincent for the first time she has that "sense" that she has met hime before she can't remember where or when, but somewhere. After that they continually meet up and "fall in love". I love how the writer, Amy Plum, keeps the reader intrigued about how this romance is supposed to work by slowly revealing his story and his character. It kept you guessing and then when it was revealed you kind of had that moment like "Oh!! Well Duh!" which I loved. Granted this book could be considered sterotypical to it genre, but I would disagree with anyone who said so. It is the perfect combination of mystery, romance, action, and humane qualities. I mean for a girl this story does kind of scream fairy tale, but who said you were too old for that? The fact that Vincent’s family each died at different times makes it puzzling to figure out how they live together. Another factor is that they are not all from France or were here when they died.  You have so much history put into one house it is hard not to want to be Kate. If I could I would become her character at any point if not for the handsome, tender- hearted Vincent, but for the feeling of being in the room with pieces of history. I just loved reading the stories and knowing exactly what they were talking about. It was cool to consider. I definitely feel like the author focused on the value of family, the value of identity, and love can conquer all. It became clear with each character how they were all interrelated and “fed” off each other. It was a wonderful book. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment