Friday, August 19, 2011

Down Is Up, Remember??

First post of the year and I am already on a reading streak. I picked up Falling Under by Gwen Hayes and have finished all 343 pages of it. The story was quite intriguing because when you first meet the two main characters, Theia and Haden, you haven't a clue on whether Theia is dreaming about Haden or whether all of her experiences are real. As the stroy continues we discover a Romeo and Juliet type love. The two aren't meant to be together , but yet they fall anyway. It is interesting because Theia's mother died while she was born and her father is overprotective, strict, and proper british man who forces her into keeping her free spirit hidden. She is not like most typical female lesds where they have everything and can do whatever, she is secluded and chooses to be an outcast. Her best friends Donny and Amelia help her to release her inner teenager. What surprised me the most is how the author waited until the close to the end of the story to tell the reader that Haden is actually half demon and that his mother, Mara, is the "ruler" of fear. Also, I loved how there was a connection between Haden and Hades. Under, the realm in which Haden lives, is described much like the Underworld in which Hades controls. In the story Haden is the Prince and he must take a Human bride in which to produce and heir. The story kind of parallels to Persephone and Hades.As the story continues Theis and Haden eventually switch roles. I found that to be my favorite part, predictable, but still exciting for me. You finally understand what he would be like without his demon half. Granted he can't recall anything before hand, but that makes is more fun for me the reader. In the end, he discovers that to save is beloved Theia he must reclaim his demon heritage and  ultimately saves Theia. I feel like every girl wishes for a story like this. You dream of prince charming and then suddenly he appears and in the end becomes everyting you didn't expect. I think sometimes Down is up and you have to accept your disbeliefs in order to see the picture as a whole.
If there was one line I loved out of this book it would be this one, "Donny glared at me. Never trust a sneetch, little girl." They comes from a Dr. Seuss story in which the Star-Belly Sneetches, who were born with a green star on their bellies, thought they were better than those who had no green star. I love how they use these characters to describe the in-crowd at school, its funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment